On Nov. 6, 2018, Michigan voters approved Proposal 18-1, which created the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act (MRTMA) and legalized adult marijuana use for recreational purposes. This law automatically “opts-in” all municipalities. Each municipality must decide the extent to which it may limit or prohibit state-licensed recreational marijuana establishments prior to December 2019, if not sooner. This webinar series will present a variety of related information in the context of local government decision making about marijuana regulation.
Michigan State University (MSU) Extension, in partnership with the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), present a webinar series for local government officials to learn the latest about the implementation of the MRTMA. Materials presented in the webinar series are peer-reviewed by LARA Bureau of Marijuana Regulation staff and include the latest information to date.
There are six webinars in the series - register for one, several, or all:
- What’s Next for Marijuana? The Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act - May 23 - Michigan voters approved Proposal 1 in November opening the door to legalizing the recreational use of marijuana. Proposal 1, now the MRTMA, became effective Dec. 6, 2018. Municipalities and counties engaged in zoning have many questions around this issue. Due to vague phrasing in parts of the law, some questions can be answered now while others will require clarity from state agencies, the courts, and/or the legislature. This webinar will briefly outline the three Michigan acts regulating marijuana, the role of a zoning ordinance vs. police power ordinance, and a sampling of “knowns” and “unknowns” around zoning for marijuana related land uses.
- How to Frame a Public Conversation around Local Marijuana Regulation- June 20 - Learn the importance of public engagement and how to make a plan for your community around the topic of regulating recreational marijuana facilities. This session will explore tools and techniques and provide key examples of diverse engagement strategies to meet the unique needs of your community.
- To Ban or Not to Ban: Example Michigan Marijuana Local Government Regulations - July 25 - This webinar will present various regulatory approaches taken by Michigan local governments to date. Learn about example regulations from large cities to rural townships under the Medical Marijuana Facilities Licensing Act and what some have done in preparation for the implementation of the MRTMA. The webinar will also consider how unzoned townships might address the subject and the division of authority with townships under county zoning.
- Industrial Hemp Regulation, Research and Prospects for Development - August 22 - Federal legalization of industrial hemp offers many new opportunities for Michigan growers, processors and consumers. However, current knowledge gaps and potential barriers to the success of hemp in Michigan are many including regulatory risk, agronomic best practices, processing capacity, consumer demand and profitability. Join this webinar to hear the latest on industrial hemp regulation, research and prospects for development in Michigan. The presentation will include application of the Michigan Right to Farm Act to industrial hemp production.
- Marijuana Revenue: From Excise to Property Taxes – Who gets what and how much? - September 19 - The legalization of recreational marijuana in Michigan creates a new revenue stream for state and local governments from sales and excise taxes to local property taxes for new facilities, but where will that revenue go, and how much might there be? This webinar will cover the distribution of revenue collected under the new recreational marijuana law. We will also discuss the experiences of states like Washington and Colorado with marijuana revenue and what that might tell us about how much revenue state and local governments in Michigan can expect to bring in under the new law.
- The Latest from LARA on Marijuana Regulation - October 24 - Join staff from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) Bureau of Marijuana Regulation as they share timely information in advance of the December 2019 deadline for the publication of administrative rules for marijuana regulation.
All webinars run 3 - 4:30 p.m. (EST).
Webinars will be recorded.
Cost: $15 per webinar, or register for all six for $50.
Please register for one, several, or all webinars here.
Registration for MRTMA Webinar Series - Registration is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on October 23, 2019.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.