11983 E. Maple Rd., Westphalia
May 1 and 22
5813 W. Walker Rd., St. Johns
May 8, 15, and 29
All Sessions will be held from 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
This hands-on calf care training is designed for employees that are new to calf care or for anyone wanting to learn new skills in handling calves. Participants may attend a single class or all five. Classes will be offered in English and Spanish.
May 1 - Simon Dairy
- Identifying sick calves
- Conducting a Health Exam
- Following Protocol
May 8 - Nobis Dairy
- Colostrum collection, testing, and storage
- Newborn care, tube feeding, umbilical care, ear tagging, and sluggish calves
May 15 - Nobis Dairy
- Dehorning using hot iron with a nerve block and using caustic paste
May 22 - Simon Dairy
- Treatment - tube feeding; SQ, IM, IV injections drawing blood, following protocol, and record keeping
May 29 - Nobis Dairy
- Feeding milk/ milk replacer
- Mixing Milk Replacer
- Cleaning equipment
Participants MUST wear clean clothing and boots!
Registration for May 29th is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on May 28, 2019.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.