Jan. 22, 2019
8:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Starting at Countryside Greenhouse of Allendale
9050 Lake Michigan Dr.
Allendale, MI 49401
The purpose of this greenhouse tour is to promote energy efficiency practices, labor-saving technology, and environmental sustainability practices that reduce overall greenhouse operational expenses.
8:30 - 9 a.m. Registration, Countryside Greenhouse of Allendale
9 - 10 a.m. Tour of Countryside Greenhouse:
- Energy efficiency projects: IR Poly, high-efficiency heaters, energy curtains, and solar garden
- Sustainability projects: water recapture and filtration and MAEAP verification
Tour Location: Countryside Greenhouse (9050 Lake Michigan Dr., Allendale MI 49401)
10 - 10:15 a.m. Travel to Spring Meadow Nursery (on own)
Tour Location: Spring Meadow Nursery (12601 120th Ave., Grand Haven MI 49417)
10:15 - 11:30 a.m. Tour of Spring Meadow Nursery:
- Energy Efficiency projects: Philips LED top-lighting, in-floor heat, HAF fans, Argus environmental control system, Energy curtains, shade curtains
- Labor-saving technology and practices: Robotic vegetative cutting sticking machine, Robotic transplanter, Automated grading machine, Trimming machine, PB rice hull top-dress blower, and LEAN-flow techniques (progressive sticking, supermarket style shipping)
11:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. Lunch, Spring Meadow Nursery Conference Room
12 - 2:30 p.m. Partner Presentations, Spring Meadow Nursery Conference Room
- Introduction and Common Greenhouse Energy Efficient Projects - Heidi Lindberg, MSUE
- Greenhouse Energy Efficiency Projects: Recent Projects – Al Go, Dept. of Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering, MSU
- NRCS EQIP On-Farm Energy Initiative – Heather Varboncoeur, USDA NRCS
- USDA Rural Development REAP Program – Lisa Epple, USDA Rural Development
- Rebates with Consumers Energy – Duane Watson, Jessica Martin, & Tom Gallagher, Consumers Energy
- Environmental sustainability, MAEAP Program - Sara Bronkema and Bill Lindberg, MAEAP Technicians
- Opportunities with Flow Vision – Steve Forkey, FlowVision LLC
2:30 p.m. Adjourn
The tour is FREE (includes lunch) but registration is requested to ensure there is an accurate meal count and enough handouts for all participants.
This tour qualifies for a Phase 1 Event for the MAEAP program.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.