GLLA Leadership Coaching Fellowship Program
About the Program
The Great Lakes Leadership Academy (GLLA) Leadership Coaching Fellowship program offers GLLA alumni and Michigan State University Extension staff the opportunity to strengthen leadership coaching skills for motivating individuals, improving team performance, and delivering effective results with groups and organizations.
The program includes five training sessions that will boost participants’ understanding of skills related to coaching and leadership. Specific areas of focus include working with diverse teams, motivating adult learners, strategies that encourage sharing wisdom to foster more leaders within teams and organizations.
Coaching and Supporting the Common Good
After the successful completion of training, Leadership Coaching Fellows (“the Fellows”) will use their skills to support the Great Lakes Leadership Academy’s Leadership Advancement Program. In this role fellows will support participants’ and provide coaching to ensure effective collaboration, teamwork and improving personal visions for success.
Program Outcomes and Expectations
Fellows will strengthen skills that support:
- Working with diverse, high-level leaders from various backgrounds
- Encouraging personal growth and self-discovery, in one’s self and others
- Active listening and improved communication
- Understanding the importance of vulnerability and building trust
- Understanding the link between emotional health and leadership
- Coaching, mentoring, and learning from others
- Understanding the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion
2021 Year 1 – Building Coaching Skills
The Fellows will complete five (5) training workshops to prepare for serving as coaches to the 7th cohort of the Leadership Advancement Program.
2022 Year 2 (optional) – Coaching Project Teams
The Fellows will have the option to extend their coaching role by supporting team projects.
Professional Development Training Fund
The Fellows will have access to a $1000/year training fund for up to two-years to support additional professional development of their choosing. The training funds will be maintained in a GLLA account and can be used to pay for an approved professional development program. Funds are non-transferable.
What are we looking for in Leadership Coaching Fellows?
The Great Lakes Leadership Academy promotes positive change, economic vitality, resource conservation, and improved quality of life in Michigan by encouraging leadership for the common good.
Applicants must have:
- Prior experience with leading teams
- Working with high-level leaders
- Successful applicants will have demonstrated significant leadership skills and accomplishments in their careers
Additionally, GLLA is seeks diverse applicants with skills that include areas such as:
- Agriculture, Agribusiness and Food Systems
- Conservation, Natural Resource and Environment
- Community Development and Civic Leadership
- MSU Extension staff must have approval from their supervisors to participate
- Prior coaching or mentoring experience is desired
Who can apply?
- Program is open to GLLA alumni (special consideration given)
- MSU Extension staff
When can I apply?
- Applications are due by February 18, 2021
- Selections will be announced in early March
Training Dates (Potential candidates are recommended to hold the following dates)
- Session 1 (Mar. 23-24)
- Session 2 (April 27 -28)
- Session 3 (May 25-26)
- Session 4 (June 29-30)
- Session 5 (TBD)
Application for GLLA Leadership Coaching Fellowship Program is open.
Application closes at 11:59 p.m. on February 18, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.