Michigan Master Naturalist
These sessions will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on each Saturday date in 2023.
Topics/Dates for the Rouge River Region
|May 6||Ornithology, Botany and Native Plants||Environmental Intrepretive Center|
|June 3||Intrepretive Skills, Native trees and Insect Biomass for Birds||Environmental Intrepretive Center|
|July 8||Michigan Geology, Climate, Soils||Environmental Intrepretive Center|
|August 5||River adn lake Ecology, Ichthyology, Reptiles, & Amphibians||Humbug Marsh|
|September 9||Insects adn Spiders, Prairie Ecosystems, Conservation||LeFurge Woods|
Raptor and Waterfowl Migration, Wetland Habitats
|Lake Erie Metropark|
|Online (MSU Guest ID Required)|
Automobile transportation and a Michigan State Park Recreation Passport is necessary. Carpooling can be coordinated as needed.
What to ExpectStudents must obtain required books on their own:
- Douglas Tallamy’s Bringing Nature Home (available new and used) -required reading chapters 1-8
- The Kaufman Field Guide to Nature of the Midwest (available new and used) and required resource
- Managing Michigan's Wildlife: A Landowners Guide (available as a free PDF in the D2L classroom using your MSU Guest ID) Required Reading first unit and relevant related subjects.
- Students should plan to wear weather and activity appropriate clothing such as closed toed shoes or hiking boots, hat, long pants, etc.
- A camera, hand lens, field guides, related apps preloaded on smart phones and binoculars may also prove helpful on outdoor experience walks.
- All classes will be held rain or shine.
- At the completion of the core sessions a Certification Exam is made available
- The Certificaiton exam is hosted on a digital platform and can be accessed via the Desire 2 Learn classroom (D2L).
- Students must obtain an MSU Guest ID to gain access to the D2L learning classroom at Michigan State University.
- An open book certification exam is made available where MIMN Trainees have 10 days to complete it.
- Participants are granted multiple tries to reach this percentage.
- Participants must earn an 80% or better to be certified as a Michigan Master Naturalist.
- Successfully passing earns a certificate and a MIMN sew on patch.
If a participant misses sessions, then he or she may fall behind and experience additional challenges to become a certified Michigan Master Naturalist.
$200 per person includes all core sessions, materials and handouts.
Cancellations received after April 25 will incur a $100 cancellation fee.
Cancellations received one week prior to the start of class will not be refunded.
Note: Registration will close when the class is full.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.