We wish you the best as you serve your community in this valuable and influential role. Please joins us at one of our upcoming schools.
Who should attend:
Newly elected & experienced commissioners, administrative staff and other elected county officials
What will be covered:
- Learn about County Commissioner roles and responsibilities and the structure of county government
- Explore the basics of county finance
- Learn best practices for leading and participating in public meetings
- Network with other elected officials
Cost: $125 per person
Schedule at each location:
2:30 p.m. Registration
3 p.m. New Commissioner School
6 p.m. Reception hosted by Michigan Association of Counties (MAC)
8 p.m. Evening Concludes
8 a.m. Breakfast
8:30 a.m. New Commissioner School
11:30 a.m. Adjourn
Dates and Locations:
Grand Rapids November 26 - 27, 2018
Gaylord December 3 - 4, 2018
Escanaba December 10 - 11, 2018
Frankenmuth December 17 - 18, 2018
All lodging is available at the state government rate of $75 a night.
- Grand Rapids Crowne Plaza, 5700 28th St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 | Call 616-957-1770 and indicate MSU before Nov. 11, 2018
- Treetops Resort, 3962 Wilkinson Rd, Gaylord, Michigan 49735 | Call 855-261-8764 and indicate New Commissioner School before Nov. 15, 2018
- Quality Inn and Suites, 2603 N Lincoln Rd, Escanaba, MI 49829 | Call 906-789-1200 and indicate MSU before Nov. 30, 2018
- Bavarian Inn and Conference Center, 1 Covered Bridge Lane, Frankenmuth, MI 48734 | Call 855-652-7200 and indicate 12S1G2 before Dec. 3, 2018
There will be a cancellation fee of $40 for cancellations less than 3 days prior to each location date.
Registration for New Commissioner School is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 14, 2018.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.