Birth Management for Sheep and Goats 2023
Jan. 3 - 24, 2023
Online with optional 1 Day Hands-On Experience - January 28, 2023
Are you interested in learning how to improve birth management of your herd or flock?
Participants will learn preventative approaches, assessment skills, and treatment procedures. Both novice and veteran producers alike will find this program valuable. Because of the amount and depth of information presented, students have found attending this program more than once to be valuable.
Topics will include: nutritional management, use of ultrasound, facility design, newborn care, hypothermia treatment, grafting, vaccination protocols, mortality diagnoses, health and feeding program assessment.
- Jan 3: Webinar - Nutritional management to optimize birth outcomes in sheep and goats.
- Jan 10: Webinar - Optimizing maternal and newborn health: parasite control, vaccination schedules, treating complications at birth, providing a healthy environment.
- Jan 17: Webinar - The normal birth process, birth assistance and newborn care.
- Jan 24: Webinar - Identifying challenges on your farm and creating an improvement plan addressing health management, nutrition and facility improvements.
- Jan 28: OPTIONAL: Hands on Experience - 1-4 p.m. - MSU Sheep Teaching and Research Center, 3885 Hagadorn Rd., Okemos, MI 48864
- Richard Ehrhardt Ph.D., senior extension specialist
- Mike Metzger M.S., extension educator
- Erin Recktenwald Ph.D., extension and research associate
Registration: $40/farm or family and includes a 90+ page manual, a laminated lamb hypothermia/starvation treatment poster and access to all recorded sessions
Additional members of the same farm/ family may receive additional manuals and posters for $20 per set.
Materials will be mailed after the first class. Participants outside the United States will be charged additional postage after the event.
No refunds for cancellations after Jan. 2, 2023.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.
For more information contact Mike Metzger at 517-788-4292 or firstname.lastname@example.org