- Youth ages 9-19 interested in learning about the dairy industry
- Farm kids, city kids, country kids, FFA and 4-H members
- All skill and knowledge levels
- A hands-on day full of fun and prizes
- FFA students to further develop judging knowledge and improve ability to compete in skills contests
- 4-H members to improve fair competition skills and animal science knowledge
- Preparing youth to participate in:
- Dairy Days
- Local County Fair
6669 Clear Lake Rd., Imlay City, MI 48444
- Calf Management: Discover what a calf manager does on the farm. Learn about calf health and how to identify sick animals.
- Dairy Breeds and Judging: Explore the different dairy breeds and their characteristics Learn the basics of judging a dairy cow.
- Heat Detection and Breeding: Uncover all that is involved with artificial insemination. Different ways of breeding and heat detection will be discussed.
July 13, 2019
Oak River Dairy
4697 Gettel Rd., Sebewaing, MI 48759
- Showmanship: Get a chance to practice your showmanship or learn something new for the show ring.
- Calf Nutrition: Discover what a calf eats when and how different feed impact the rumen.
- Mastitis Management: Learn about somatic cells and mastitis and what this means to the dairy. Participants will also get hands-on experience with on-farm milk culturing.
Accompanying adults: Free
Registration for Thumb Dairy Odyssey Days is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on July 11, 2019.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.