Forest Forensics: Ghosts on the Landscape
Orientation webinar on Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021
Field experiences on Saturdays, Nov. 6, 13 & Dec. 4
Join us for the family friendly series as we take a closer look at the traces, or ghosts, of the effects of geology, climate and human influence on Michigan landscapes. After attending the orientation webinar, participants will have an opportunity to visit sites to practice recognizing these ghostly clues, and develop the skills to determine if the landscape feature is natural or a remnant of historic human use.
- Tuesday, October 26 (6:30-7:30 p.m.): Forest forensics webinar orientation: Cluing in on the basics
- Saturday, November 6 (1-3 p.m.): Field forensics practice at Vielmetti-Peters Conservation Reserve,148 W Hewitt Ave., Marquette, MI 49855
- Saturday, November 6 (10 a.m.-12 p.m.): Field forensics practice at Au Sable River Center Parking Lot to carpool to the site, 211 N. Main Street, Roscommon, MI 48653
- Saturday, November 13 (10 a.m.-12 p.m.): Field forensics practice at Bird Hills Nature, 1850 Newport Rd., Ann Arbor, MI 48103
- Saturday, November 13 (10 a.m.-12 p.m.): Field forensics practice at Oak Ridge Park, 400 Dexter Road, Eaton Rapids, MI 48827
- Saturday, December 4 (1-3 p.m.): Field forensics practice at Pierce Cedar Creek Institute, 701 W Cloverdale Rd., Hastings, MI 49058
Registration is free, but slots are limited at each field site for health and accessibility purposes. Registered participants will also receive a link to a website where the recorded session and supplemental information will be housed.
COVID-19 UPDATE: We are planning for an in-person program. All participants, regardless of vaccination status, are required to wear a mask while indoors on MSU property or any property that is reserved or rented exclusively for an MSU activity. Please do not attend any programs, meetings, or events if you feel ill.
Registration for Forest Forensics: Ghosts on the Landscape is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 4, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.