Preserving MI Harvest in the Fall
Thursdays, Oct. 7 - Dec. 2, 2021
Online via Zoom
Are you thinking about preserving food at home this fall? Please join MSU Extension to learn best practices for safe home food preservation and receive valuable resources to ensure the safety of your home preserved foods. Join us using Zoom for each session or choose the topics that you are interested in. These free workshops will be taught by the MSU Extension Food Safety Team.
Classes are offered Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. or from 6-7 p.m. ET.
Weekly Class sessions:
- Oct. 7, 2021 - The Art of Making Sauerkraut
- Making batches of sauerkraut is a tradition for many families. Join us to learn proper techniques to prepare cabbage, ferment, and process this delicious product.
- Oct. 14, 2021 - Apples- Not Just Applesauce
- Looking for easy ways to use your abundance of apples? Let's explore the options of canning or freezing apples this harvest season.
- Oct. 21, 2021 - Garden Leftovers-Using Pumpkins and Squash
- Discover how to safely freeze and can pumpkin and winter squash.
- Oct. 28, 2021 - Preserving Soups
- Soup season is here. Join us to learn how to preserve soup by canning or freezing. It is important to follow proper canning methods to make it safe. We will share these methods and other helpful tips.
- Nov. 11, 2021 - Preserving Wild Game: Venison
- Preserving venison must be done using a pressure canner. Learn how to safely can, freeze and dehydrate venison and where to find research-based recipes.
- Nov. 18, 2021 - Preserving Food for Gifts
- Don't put your water bath or atmospheric steam canner away yet! There are several high acid items you can make for gifts. Join us for this session to learn what can be made for gifts to give in the coming weeks.
- Dec. 2, 2021 - Gifts for the Food Home Preserver
- Join the discussion with the MSU Extension Food Safety team as they share their favorite preserving equipment and gadgets for safe methods of preserving food at home.
Registration for Preserving MI Harvest is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 1, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.