Congratulations on your election to county government!
We wish you the best as you serve your community in this valuable and influential role.
Please join us at this virtual school that will feature self-paced online learning.
Who should attend:
Newly elected & experienced commissioners, administrative staff and other elected county officials
What will be covered:
- Learn about County Commissioner roles and responsibilities and the structure of county government
- Explore the basics of county finance
- Learn best practices for leading and participating in public meetings
- Network with other elected officials
Cost: $95 per person
New Online Format - Recorded and Self Learning Sessions
- Recorded Introductory Session - 45 minutes
- Self-paced, Asynchronous Online Learning
- Recorded Ask an Expert Session and Discussion - 60 minutes
- Recorded NCS Webinar Session - Presentation - 90 minutes
- Recorded Closing Session - 35 minutes
Below are recommendations for the optimal interactive online training:
- A computer, laptop or tablet with latest version of your browser
- A reliable, internet connection - broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G/LTE)
- Webcam or HD webcam - built-in or USB plug-in
- Speakers and a microphone - built-in or USB plug-in or wireless Bluetooth
- Latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
Supplement Materials: Guide to Michigan County GovernmentWorkshop participants can purchase a copy of the newly revised Guide to Michigan County Government (5th Edition) at a discounted rate! Click here to purchase the guide. Use code MIGOV for a 25% discount. Orders of 4 or more will automatically receive 30% off.
Registration for New Commissioner School is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 31, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.