Spring Food Preservation Classes
Online via Zoom
Thursdays, April 1 - June 24, 2021
Join MSU Extension Educators to learn the latest methods and research for preserving foods at home. Let us help you fill your pantry and freezer by preserving food safely at home. Join us using Zoom for each session or choose the topics that you are interested in.
Classes are offered Thursdays from 1-2:30 p.m. or from 6-7:30 p.m. EDT.
These free workshops will be taught by MSU Extension Food Safety Educators.
Classes will be available on the following dates:
- April 1, 2021 - Selecting Plants for your Garden
- Join us as we discuss preparing your garden to plant.
- April 8, 2021 - Asparagus, Spring's first Vegetable
- Learn to prepare asparagus by canning or freezing.
- April 15, 2021 - What to do with Rhubarb
- Join us to explore how this sour spring veggie can be made delicious.
- April 22, 2021 - Michigan's Spring Catch - Preserving Fish
- Safe tips for preserving fish.
- April 29, 2021 - Preserving and Using Mushrooms Safely
- Tips for preserving mushrooms safely.
- May 6, 2021 - Home Food Preservation - Tools of the Trade
- Learn about the latest equipment for home food preservation.
- May 13, 2021 - No Workshops Scheduled for this day
- May 20, 2021 - Freezing and Blanching Produce and Herbs
- Learn easy steps for vegetables, fruits, and herbs to ensure a quality product to enjoy later.
- May 27, 2021 - Basics of Boiling Water Bath and Steam Canning
- Learn the safe methods of using the boiling water bath and steam canning processing methods.
- June 3, 2021 - From Our Kitchen to Yours, Answers to Your Preservation Questions
- Join our Food Safety Team for a live Question and Answer session on safe methods of preserving foods at home.
- June 10, 2021 - Preserving Foods as a Family
- Create traditions as a family and discover the fun of working together to preserve family favorites.
- June 17, 2021 - Strawberries - More than Just Jam
- Explore how to can, freeze, and make fruit leather, as well as jam with this popular fruit.
- June 24, 2021 - Pressure Canning
- Learn how to safely process low-acid foods.
Registration for Spring Food Preservation Classes is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on June 23, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.