Interviewing Potential Volunteers
Do you screen potential adult volunteers? Do you know what you’re looking for when you read those references and volunteer applications? What should you follow up on or maybe ask some additional questions about during the interview. The interview process is a critical part of the screening process and one of discovery. Join us for the opportunity to actively participate in a hands-on workshop focused on fine-tuning your skills for interviewing volunteers. Workshop participants will:
- Understand the importance of reviewing references and applications
- Discuss common interview challenges
- Discover the expectations the volunteer has for their experience
- Ask appropriate and relevant interview questions
- Identify potential “red flags”
- Learn to conduct effective interviews
- Get to know your volunteers
Join us for learn more about screen volunteers and practice asking those important questions.
Who Should Attend:
All MSU Extension Staff who screen volunteers and process volunteers through the Volunteer Selection Process.
9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Lunch not included but a break will be provided to get lunch or bring your own.
- Friday, March 15 - Kent County MSU Extension Office, 775 Ball Ave. N.E. Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Wednesday, April 17 - Isabella County Building, 200 N. Main St. 3rd Floor Room 320 Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858
- Wednesday, May 22 - Upper Peninsula-Please Reach out to Jodi Schulz and Christine Heverly about this option as it is part of 4-H staff training
- Friday, June 28 - Verkuilen Building 21885 Dunham Rd., Clinton Township, 48036 in the Assembly Rooms A & B
- Monday, Aug. 19 - Saginaw Valley Research Center, 3775 S. Reese Rd., Frankenmuth, MI 48734
- Tuesday, Sept. 10 - Muskegon Community College, 221 S. Quarterline Rd., Muskegon, MI 49442 in Room 1218
- Thursday, Oct. 10 - Grand Traverse MSU Extension Office, 520 W. Front St. Suite A Traverse City, MI 49684 in the lower level conference room
- Tuesday, Nov. 19-Vicksburg Community Center, 101 S. Main Street, Vicksburg MI 49097 in Merritt Harper Room (downstairs conference room)
- Monday, Dec. 9 - MSU Federal Credit Union, 4825 Mt. Hope Rd., East Lansing, MI 48823
Free for MSU Extension Staff
$50 for Non-MSU Extension staff
Senior Extension Educator
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.