Is your local unit of government fiscally healthy? This half-day training presented by MSU Extension and the Michigan Department of Treasury will cover the fundamentals of tracking long-term fiscal health and operational best practices.
Who should attend:
Elected and appointed officials in local government, administrators, and staff.
What will be covered:
- How to compare your community with other distinguished local budgets in Michigan.
- Understanding key financial variables, such as:
- The “rainy day fund”/fund balance/net position.
- Understanding how the tax base provides revenue.
- Proposal A, the Headlee Amendment, and understanding volatile revenue.
- Forecasting revenue and expenditures.
- How spending in the present will have an impact on the future.
What resources will be provided?
- Detailed guides that outline strong policies and procedures each local government should have. These guides include a checklist to track what your local government already has, what you are working on, and next steps.
*Registrations canceled less than 1 week prior to the workshop will be charged a $50 cancellation fee.
Date and Locations:
- March 22, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - East Lansing - Brody Hall, 241 Brody Srv Rd, East Lansing, MI 48823
- April 26, 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Battle Creek - Battle Creek Department of Public Works, 150 S Kendall St, Battle Creek, MI 49037
- May 21, 9:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. - Roseville - Roseville City Hall 29777 Gratiot Ave, Roseville, MI 48066
- June 20, 1-4 p.m.: Marquette - Marquette Municipal Service Center, 1100 Wright St., Marquette, MI 49855
- July 18, 1-4 p.m.: Traverse City - Networks Northwest Conference Center, 1209 S Garfield, Suite E, Traverse City, MI 49686
- Aug. 22, 1-4 p.m.: Mt Pleasant - Mid-Michigan Community College Room 186, 2600 S. Summerton Rd, Mount Pleasant, MI
- Sept. 12, 1-4 p.m.: Alpena - Alpena Community College Room 104/106, 665 Johnson St, Alpena, MI 49707
- Oct. 16, 1-4 p.m.: Flint - MSU Extension Genesee County, 605 N Saginaw St, Flint, MI 48502
- Nov. 6, 1-4 p.m.: Jackson - MSU Extension Jackson County Building, Suite 257, Jackson, MI 49202
- Dec. 10, 1-4 p.m.: Muskegon - Muskegon Community College, 221 S. Quarterline Rd, Muskegon, MI 49442
Registration for Fiscally Ready Community Regional Trainings is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on December 9, 2019.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.