MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center Farm Visit Request Form
A visit to Tollgate Farm and Education Center is designed for visitors to experience agriculture by learning about farm sustainability and the environment. Programs are aligned with Next Generation Science Standards and utilize inquiry place-based learning. Life cycles and system interdependency are revealed as students visit the fields, greenhouse, and resident farm animals to investigate science phenomena taking place. Visits to the farm are scheduled daily September through early June. Groups are welcome to have lunch on the farm (weather permitting) and to take a self-guided hike on our marked trails.
Some of the exciting aspects including in learning journeys on the farm:
- Investigate science phenomena happening on the farm
- Connect to place and integrate with community-based service learning
- Explore how plants and animals prepare for the coming season
- Take a wagon ride to forest, field, or pond
- Visit the animals and learn about their role on the farm
- Spend time in the edu-garden
- Explore life cycles and how plants and animals use their internal and external systems to survive
The MSU Tollgate Education Center is a great outdoor learning environment and offers hand-on experiences all year long. Go to http://tollgate.msu.edu/schoolprograms/field_trips to learn more about additional program offerings such as:
- Spring into Farming: The Nutrient Cycle
- Plants and Their Partners
- Water and Land: The Connection
- The Science of Maple Sugaring
- Harvest Farm Ecology
- Ecosystem Explorations
- Insect Investigations
- Plants and Their Parents: Heredity and Traits
- The Journey of Water
- Sheep to Sweater
- Weather and Animal Adaptations
- Winter on the Farm: Heat, Light, and the Transfer of Energy on the Farm
Program availability is on a first come, first served basis. Schools should register early to secure their spot! The lunch area is available to groups following the program without staff support or supervision. We ask that the area be left clean and tidy. Lunch areas includes picnic tables and recycle/trash receptacles. Please check with program staff for more information. Please arrive 15 minutes prior to appointment.
The earlier a tentative date can be offered, the better able we are to schedule your program without a conflict. Ideally, groups of 60 or fewer students visit the farm at one time. 40-45 is an ideal size group. Large school festivals are available on request.
Payment is due two weeks prior to the event. For information regarding possible scholarships, see our financial aid tab on our website.
Registration for MSU Tollgate Farm and Education Center Spring Visits is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on August 12, 2020.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.
For more information contact Ellen Koehler, Tollgate Education Coordinator at 248-347-0269 ext. 227 or firstname.lastname@example.org.