Winter Food Preservation Classes
Online via Zoom
Thursdays, Jan. 14 - March 25, 2021
Preparing for the harvest season - Join us to learn the latest methods and research of preserving foods at home. Let us help you prepare for the harvest season to fill your pantry and freezer by preserving food safely. Join us using Zoom for each session or choose the topics that you are interested in. Classes will be offered at 1-2:30 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m. EST each day listed.
This workshop will be taught by experienced MSU Extension Food Safety Educators.
Classes will be available on the following dates:
- Jan. 14, 2021 - Selecting Your Seeds for the Garden
- Now is the time to plan your garden for your food preservation ideas. Topics will include vegetable variety and seed selection, starting seeds, media, timing, and management of your seedlings.
- Jan. 21, 2021 - Using your Frozen Fruit to Make Jelly or Jam
- Using summers frozen fruit or 100% fruit juice to make delicious jams and jellies during the winter months.
- Jan. 28, 2021 - All about beans
- Beans, beans, beans. This program will teach how to home can dry beans from start to finish, using a pressure canner.
- Feb. 4, 2021 - Preserving Soups and Broth
- Canning and freezing homemade soup and broth is not only healthy but can save time and make meal preparation quick and easy.
- Feb. 11, 2021 - Preparing for Preservation I: From Garden to Harvest
- Prepare for the next harvest and preservation season. This program will cover planning, equipment, storing, recipes, and much more to successfully preserve food throughout the year. This is part one of a two-part program
- Feb. 18, 2021 - Preparing for Harvest II: From Garden to Harvest
- Prepare for the next harvest and preservation season. This workshop will cover planning, equipment, storing, recipes, and much more to successfully preserve food throughout the year. This is part two of a two-part program.
- Feb. 25, 2021 - Fact vs. Fiction When Preserving Foods at Home
- It is important to stay current with home preserving methods. Join the Food Safety Team for an interactive program on fact vs. fiction when preserving foods at home.
- March 4, 2021 - Using What I Preserved Last Summer
- Ways to use what you preserved so it doesn't go to waste. Did you try a new canning recipe and are not sure how to use it? Join us to see how some of the Food Safety Team use their products. Too many canned tomatoes or peaches we'll help you figure out what to do.
- March 18, 2021 - Introduction to Home Canning
- Whether a beginner to home canning or looking for a refresher on best practices while canning foods at home, this class is for you. Join us to learn how to properly use your water bath, atmospheric steam, and pressure canners to create safe home-canned foods.
- March 25, 2021 - Preserving Maple Syrup
- From tree to table, making and preserving maple syrup in your home.
Registration for Winter Food Preservation Classes is open.
Registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on March 24, 2021.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities. Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting the event contact two weeks prior to the start of the event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.